Sunday, December 23, 2012

Winter solstice

I am always asked how I ended up in the great white north whenever someone recognizes that my accent is from the south.  I have been out of east Texas for over 17 years, yet I am still astonished when someone hears my accent.  I had thought it was gone.  Yes, I do still say things such as, "Y'all and fixin'" but I thought it was in a plain voice.  

I ended up here in New England because I love the snow.  Yes, I am crazy, but the sight of snow falling is one of which I never tire.  I can get lost in sitting and looking out the window to see flakes falling oh so gently to the ground.  

   
I have always had this fantasy about sitting in a glass gazebo in a hot tub watching a snowstorm outside.  I do not know what it is, but being in the midst of snow falling is one of the things that brings me peace.  One of the most beautiful sights I can remember was riding a snowmobile through the woods at midnight and seeing the snow glistening in the headlight.  It was as if I were surrounded by millions of diamonds.  Seeing the trees laden with snow after a heavy snowfall fills me with wonder.  As a part of my attempt to lose weight, I would love to learn to snowshoe through the woods.


 I leave you with my tries at composing a haiku:

Silent wonderment
Snow is falling gently down
Winter landscaping





   

No comments:

Post a Comment