Saturday, September 29, 2018

What are people thinking?



Something happened at work today that just drove home a point to me.  I used to be the team leader in one of our organizations clinics.  I was leader for 2 full-time family practice physician’s (one of whom not only perform multiple specialty procedures but did so in 2 offices), 3 full-time behavioral health practitioners (again one that went to 2 offices), 1 part-time psychiatrist (once a month), and a dietician (whom I really did not do much for).  This included managing the staff that assisted those providers as well as administrative duties such as budgets and discipline.  While I was doing that, there were many times when I went to my manager asking for something as I was feeling overwhelmed.  I was told multiple times to “join the team” and that all the team leaders were busy.   I ended up going on medications to help manage my anxiety at dealing with it all.  I was a bitch to my family.  Something had to change.

Then the opportunity came up to change my position to essentially the same, but not having to deal with the administrative stuff.   This left my former position open, but they rolled that into the other team leaders responsibilities.  I changed positions, taking a large pay cut, but I have not regretted that change.  I love working with her and all of the staff at the new clinic.  The providers are a joy to work with and it is like an extended family.  We know what is going on in each other’s lives.   My first team leader I worked under was great and when she left, the woman who replaced her is just as wonderful.

But, I know that things behind the scenes are not improved from when I was a team leader and it seemed like it is getting worse.  Then this morning we came to work to an email that one of the other team leaders had received a new job title of assistant practice manager of the clinic where I previously worked.   However, the job description is essentially the same as the one for my team leader with a few sentences of BS added on.   Oh, and my team leader is responsible for 2 separate clinics.    

The newly promoted person has never been able to participate in committees; always saying that she is too busy.  This is even when I was there that she was too busy to do this even though I was a member of 2 committees in addition to my regular duties.  She is still not a member of any committee of which I am aware. 

This just seems to be a slap in the face of the other team leaders in our organization and unfortunately, it is indicative of how things are being done lately.  Recently, in the span of a couple of months we had over 10 staff members leave their jobs.   Someone needs to wake up and see that the clinics are not being managed in an effective manner and ultimately the staff and patients will be adversely affected. 

Maybe it is time to look for another job?


No comments:

Post a Comment